Innsbruck gazes back on longstanding historic traditions of organ music. The famous organist Paul Hofhaimer took up his first employment post at the court of Archduke Siegmund (the so-called “Rich in Coin”) in Innsbruck in 1478. In 1490, Hofhaimer was appointed Court Organist by Emperor Maximilian the First, who had a profound attachment to Innsbruck.
On the occasion of the 450th anniversary of the death of the emperor in 1969, the City of Innsbruck endowed the Paul-Hofhaimer-Prize for interpretations of organ compositions of the old masters. Churches throughout the city harbour instruments from the 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. Particularly the historic instruments in the Imperial Church and in the Wilten Monastery have global significance.
During the course of each year, numerous concerts are performed which are supported by the City of Innsbruck. The brochure published by the City of Innsbruck entitled "Orgelstadt Innsbruck" provides a glimpse of this special circle of concerts. The City of Innsbruck is a founding member of ECHO.
"SILVER CHAPEL", Court-Church, Innsbruck