WILTEN COLLEGIATE CHURCH
After the collapse of the previous Gothic church, the Early Baroque collegiate church was dedicated in October 1665 by the Prince-Bishop of Brixen Sigmund Alfons Count Thun in the presence of Emperor Leopold I. Work was completed on the north tower in 1667. Following the death of Court Master Builder Christoph Gumpp the Younger in 1672, the construction of the south tower was stopped which is why it remained only half the height of the roof of the church. Of particular significance is the Late Gothic crucifix with real hair (around 1510) which hangs on a side altar. Previously situated in the centre of the nave, it remained virtually unscathed during the bombing of Innsbruck in 1943/44. The rest of the church was severely damaged and reconstructed after the war. The church underwent its last extensive renovation between 2005 and 2008 when it also received two new organs.
There are three organs in the collegiate church. Situated on the west gallery, the huge, new festival organ, made by Verschueren Orgelbouw, is played during Holy Mass on Sundays and feast days as the congregation enters and leaves the church. Also new is the smaller choir organ made by Orgelmakerij Reil. It is situated near the choir stalls and is played during Divine Office. In addition to the two instruments from 2008, the church also has a CHOIR ORGAN that dates back to the time of the church’s construction. Built 1675 by DANIEL HERZ, it is situated in a side gallery beside the high altar.
THE HERZ ORGAN, 1675
Due to fortunate circumstances the choir organ built by Daniel Herz (1618–1678) has remained intact until today and, what is more, it is almost entirely in its original state. Due to its largely original condition and Daniel Herz’s uniquely outstanding organ-building skills, this instrument ranks among the most valuable and oldest organs in the Tyrol. The choir organ is highly intricate as far as its craftsmanship is concerned with 9 manual stops and one pedal stop. Groups of 3 stops are fed by one common rank of pipes by means of special airways. The compass, pitch and the special tuning are in keeping with what was customary in the 17th century and the instrument is a wonderful example of a Ripieno organ, with sound characteristics typical of the old Italian style, that rarely exists north of the Alps.
|Principal 8 C Holz gedeckt; D–H Holz offen; c0 –e2 im Prospekt
Quint octav 1 1/2 c3 : 3
Quintadez 3/4 c2: 1 1/2
Quartoctav 1 cs2: 2
Cimbl maior 1/2 cs1: 1; cs2 : 2
Cimbl minor 1/4 cs0: 1/2; cs1: 1; cs2 : 2